As the fall and winter seasons are upon us, so are the celebrations and comfort food that follows. How can we add to our favorite comfort foods for a fun and balanced holiday season? Check out these helpful tips on how to get the most out of your favorite dishes.
Include proteins into your favorite dishes.
- Try adding a protein source like pulled chicken or ground turkey to macaroni and cheese for added satisfaction and strong muscles.
- In substitution of sour cream, try Greek yogurt for added protein and calcium.
Hidden veggies can keep our favorite foods enjoyable AND provide the micronutrients our bodies need to be strong.
Try these recipes for your next holiday meal:
- Mix pureed cauliflower into mashed potatoes for a light and creamy side dish.
- Add shredded zucchini to a meatloaf mixture for a moist, flavorful slice.
Incorporate whole grains into your favorite treats.
Here are a couple ways to make your tasty treat a little more nutrient-dense:
- Classic chocolate chip cookies are the ultimate holiday treat. Try substituting whole wheat flour for white flour, even partially, in a baking recipe. Remember, whole wheat flour may change the rise of the dough so it may be helpful to add additional liquid and allow your dough to rest before baking!
- For lighter sweet treats, substitute mashed bananas, apple sauce, or yogurt in place of eggs or oil in baked goods.
The best way to enjoy holiday treats this season is with the ones you love!