Showing kids how to turn empathy into helpful action, they learn they can make a difference.
You and your children may be anxious about the war in Ukraine. It’s important to answer any questions your kids may have. But you can also turn your family’s empathy into meaningful action by finding ways to support the people of Ukraine.
Exploring how to help and explaining that our country is supporting relief efforts can make it easier for children to process these tragic events. Here are a few ways that families can offer support:
Donate to a Verified Charity
Kids can feel more of a connection to aiding in relief efforts if they understand who they are helping and how. Families can read about the charities that are accepting donations and choose one together. Below are a few organizations that are specifically assisting Ukrainian children and families.
- UNICEF: This humanitarian organization works to help children throughout the world. You can designate donations to help Ukraine’s children access to “safe water, nutrition, health care, education and protection.”
- CARE: This international humanitarian organization focuses on supporting women and girls. Emergency gifts to the fund will provide millions with food, water, hygiene kits, psychological support and cash assistance.
- Save the Children: This organization recently issued an emergency alert stating, “We are gravely concerned for children in Ukraine … who might be caught in the middle of armed conflict, forced to flee their homes, and exposed to injury, hunger and sub-zero temperatures.” Donations to the group’s Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund provide children and families with food, water, hygiene kits, psychosocial support and cash assistance.
- Voices of Children: This Ukraine-based charitable foundation focuses on the psychological needs of children affected by war, using strategies such as art therapy and individual support. Its mission statement: “Our objective is that every child who has suffered from the war in Ukraine must get psychological help in time.”
- Global Giving Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund: Your donation will help affected communities in Ukraine, with a focus on the most vulnerable, including children, who need access to food, medical services and psychosocial support.
Attend an Event or Demonstration
There are many demonstrations being organized for people to gather to show their support for Ukraine. Attendees can make signs writing messages of peace or carry the Ukrainian flag.
See if there are any peaceful demonstrations happening in your local area that would be a safe space for children to join in solidarity with Ukraine.
Contact your Senators and Representatives in Congress
Another activity that families can do together is writing a letter to your state representative urging them to support Ukraine.
If you aren’t sure who your representative is, you can head to democracy.io to find out and send them a message at the same time.
Some suggestions of topics to include in your letter are:
- Expressing support for the United States helping Ukraine
- Expressing concern for the Ukrainian families affected by the war
- Ask for a response to your letter (kids enjoy seeing that their efforts are recognized)
Stay informed and Share Information
By staying on top of the war in Ukraine, you can share accurate information with friends and family. Encourage others to get involved and help the people of Ukraine. Together, we can make a difference.