Kids wear a lot of things to stay safe at school … shoes to protect their feet, sunscreen to protect their skin on late summer days and a jacket to protect against the fall chill. This school year, wearing a face mask has been added to the list. Wondering how you can help your child get used to wearing a mask? Just follow these six tips!
- Explain Why kids and adults are wearing a mask. Keep the explanation simple: “I wear a mask to keep you safe. You wear a mask to keep me safe.”
- Normalize wearing a mask by helping your child see other people are wearing masks too. Play a game when you’re out: do you see a person with a green shirt wearing a mask? Do you see a person with blue sneakers wearing a mask?
- Be a good role model by wearing a mask whenever you leave the house.
- Let your child practice wearing a mask at home before wearing one to school. Let your child do a fun activity at home while wearing a mask.
- Adapt to your child’s preferences. Try different designs for the mask, or a fabric with images your child loves.
- Help your child understand what will be expected at school by reading this special story with them about wearing a mask at school.