The holiday season is a wonderful time to celebrate traditions with family and friends. But it can also be a tricky time, when we veer off track from our health goals at various social events with all of the delicious food and beverages.
- half of the plate fruits and vegetables
- a quarter of the plate include protein
- and the other quarter to include grains or a starchy vegetable.
How to Stay on Track During the Holidays
- Snacks: Consider having a healthy snack before you leave for that holiday gathering. Your snack should include a fiber and protein source so it is guaranteed to help you feel fuller, longer. This will also help with portion control and ensure you are still satisfying your holiday cravings and traditions.
- Appetizers: Consider bringing a vegetable so you have options and do not feel overwhelmed filling up on foods that may not be the most beneficial. Choose a small starter plate and make half of your plate veggies and the other half some of the other options provided.
- Mealtime: Continue keeping half of your plate veggies, a quarter of your plate grains or a starchy vegetable and the other quarter a protein. Remember, pairing a protein with fiber from vegetables and grains will help keep you satisfied. Try to stick to your appropriate portions to ensure you are not over eating but still keeping room for dessert!
- Dessert: Fill half of a small plate with fruits and choose your favorite dessert to indulge on to fill the other half of the plate. This will provide you with fiber to keep you full and still satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Beverages: Consider a sparkling water instead of soda and other sweetened beverages. Adding fruit or choosing a flavored option will help make the drink fresh and exciting while still saving you on calories. If you decide to have a sweetened beverage, limit yourself to just one 8 ounce cup and drink water or sparkling water for the rest of the day.
- Games: Bring a game or activity to mingle and have fun with family members and friends instead of grazing on tempting treats. This is a great way to get everyone involved and create wonderful memories to share.